Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The Chinese are coming .....

Ladies quarter finals today and some very interesting matches, we have the first ever Chinese player to make this stage of a grand slam, congratulations Na Li, who has some great results this year, interesting to see how she handles the presssure against Kim Clijsters. Looks likely that the Chinese will be battling the Russians for tennis domination in the years to come. They now have 6 players in the top 100 and have only just started.

My main interest is in the Mauresmo-Myskina match, the world number one leads the h2h
7-1, they met at the same stage last year and Mauresmo won in straight sets. However, I expect a much closer game today, neither has dropped a set yet and the frenchwoman has been serving very well, but Myskina's game has come on a pace in recent weeks.

She took Henin-Hardene all the way in the Eastbourne final, losing in a 3rd set tie break. The victor was impressed saying " Anastasia is back to her best, I saw her practice and she has a great game for grass. She tried everything, played a great match and she could have won it.”

Myskina was happy with the way she played too, “It was a great tournament for me and I played really, really good and showed that I can have a great year. I’m hungry, I want to win again and I’m pretty close to my best form. I’ve been working really hard, I’ve got a bigger team around me and everything is good.”

She has changed her coaching set up and looks a calmer, more confident player and she is close to her very best. The Russian will need a good start, Mauresmo's confidence can be shattered if she is not dominating. No doubt that Anastasia is the outsider, I give her a 40% chance of victory, so at the odds on offer she is a must bet.

Think the 2.70 for the Sharapova-Dementieva game to go to three sets is very fair. Maria leads the h2h 4-1, they have one meeting on grass, in Birmingham 2003, which did go to a decider.
Dementieva has improved her serve, but is now inclined to gamble on the second, averaging 8.5 double faults per game. Sharapova struggled against Pennetta yesterday, making 41 unforced errors, anything similar today will see her in big trouble. Suspect the former champion will find a way to win, but like the 3 set option.

3 points Myskina to beat Mauresmo 4.10 betfair
1.5 points Sharapova to win 2-1 sets 4.30 betfair
1 point Dementieva to win 2-1 sets 7.0 betfair

Good Luck.

No comments: