Thursday, August 24, 2006

David Howell is the number 11 ranked golfer in the World........


.... yet he can be opposed with confidence this week, in the WGC Bridgestone Invitational.

He is injured and is only playing in order to fulfill his playing card requirements, for next season. David shot a final round 82 in the USPGA on Sunday and the next day, he wrote the following on his own website ...........

Golf's Just A Pain - 21st August 2006

I don’t like blaming injuries for my bad golf, but this time that’s the case as my US PGA ended in pain and disappointment. There was a problem with my knee on Saturday. Something went when I bent over to line up a putt, but during the final round it was my right shoulder that created the problem. I felt a little twinge first of all on the range before my round and then it got gradually worse until I just couldn’t go through the ball. I was going to call it a day with five holes to play, but decided to tap it round.

Everything was affected and it’s such a pain. If it isn’t one thing, it’s another and I’m getting fed up of it. It’s ridiculous really. Now I’m not sure what’s going to happen because I have to play in the WGC event in Akron next week to get my 15 tournaments in on the US Tour. Hopefully it’s not much more than a strain, but at the moment I just can’t think about playing golf.

Howell is a very genuine guy, so we can take everything at face value. He could be opposed in almost any market. Today he faces Peter Lonard and Scott Verplank in the 19.00 cet 3 ball.

Lonard had big problems with his driving last week, so my choice is the consistent, Verplank, who has averaged 68.83 for his last 6 opening rounds and has a pretty OK record at the course, with two top 20's in the last 4 years.

2 points Scott Verplank to win the 19.00 cet 3 ball 2.56 betfair.

Back later, two football selections to follow.

Good Luck.

No comments: