Monday, January 22, 2007

AUSTRALIAN OPEN .......... WOMEN'S QUARTER FINALS


First two quarters take place overnight (European time), first on court, is the all Czech match up between Nicole Vaidisova and Tomas Berdych's long time partner, Lucie Safarova.


These two have met 3 times, with Vaidisova leading 2-1, including the only previous hardcourt encounter, every match has gone the distance and that may be the case again today.


Safarova will be buoyed by her defeat of defending champion, Amelie Mauresmo and Vaidisova, who is in excellent shape, claims to be "improving with every match" and "very excited" with her form.


I have no doubt that she will progress, but it may take a deciding set, which is nicely priced at 4.40.


In the Serena Williams-Shahar Peer match, which follows, I think that the bookmakers have over reacted to the American's "return to form", she is still clearly overweight, faces an inform opponent and is a VERY short price.


We have to stick with Peer, who has done us proud so far, her first serve percentage was in the mid 70's in her win over Kuznetsova and she looks set for a top ten place.


In a post match interview, she said that her loss to Serena two years ago was irrelevant, as "I have a different game and am playing much better now, that was my first year on tour".


The Israeli player is very ambitious, despite a fine 2006, she decided to change her entire coaching staff and also added Jose Higueras, to her retinue. Peer explained "I have a new team now. I still have my own psychology. I think it was only my second year last year, and I improved a lot. But now I think I stepped up and improved my game. I'm more aggressive. I'm improving more and more my serve and try to come in when I can. I think everything is slowly, slowly getting better and better. "


This is another match that could go the distance, so a lay of 2-0 Serena, looks the safest option.


1.5 points Vaidisova to win 2-1 sets 4.40 Betfair.

LAY 3.5 points Serena Williams to win 2-0 sets 2.18 Betfair ( max exposure will be 4.13 points).


Good Luck.

No comments: